Friday 30 August 2013

The Beginning of the End

Day 93 - 30 de Agosto: Santa Cruz, Galapagos to Quito, Ecuador

I thought i'd be sleeping in this morning (last night was a late one), however, I ended up sleeping only until about 7am. The rain this morning was coming down pretty loudly, so I finally decided to get up and have some breakfast. My roommate, Howard, did the same. We were both really craving some good coffee so after breakfast, we went to one of the only places open so early. The island lifestyle is pretty chill so people open their shops when they feel like it. We hung out at this seaside restaurant/cafe for a good while chatting - this view would be one of the last we'd see here in Galapagos. After finishing coffee, we checked out a few stores, where I bought myself a bandana, not to be worn but which had a Galapagos map on it. I thought it was cool. By 9:30, we were loading into the taxi pickup trucks and heading towards the airport. We made one stop along the way though - to pick up some organic galapagos coffee beans from a little shop. Can't wait to try some with my family back home. After getting back on the road, we did technically make one more stop - the road was blocked by a farmer walking his herd of cows down the road. Anyway, when we got to the airport and checked our bags, we unfortunately had to say goodbye to our leader, Olivia, who would be staying here a few more days. We got a picture as a group, but of course once i gave the stranger who offered to take the picture my phone, 3 or 4 more people gave their cameras too (we're sharing the pics but everyone insists on having the same pics on their cameras). We gave our hugs goodbye and just made it on time to board. The flight took what seemed like quite a long time since we had to stop an hour in Guayaquil to refuel the plane and drop off passengers. And when we finally made it to Quito, we had to wait 45 minutes, hungry as ever, for someone to pick us up. As we left the airport, we already had to say goodbye to one of our group. Diego was leaving us to visit family in another city for a few days, and so this was the first real goodbye of this group. It was funny because the first couple songs we played on the bus were slow, sadder songs which had some of the girls in tears after saying this goodbye. I was then made the DJ and got the mood turned around on the bus. Everyone was loving the songs i was picking and wondered why i hadn't offered my ipod up before. The group would always put more pop and hip hop on the previous bus rides and since i don't have any of that, i just listened to my music myself most times. We had fun listening to songs for the first bit of the bus ride, but then it just got tedious. Not only was there traffic, but we were in a bus that couldn't go over 30 or 40km/h without overheating. It was about 8 or so by the time we made it back. We picked up a bunch of the other group on the way back, so it was good to reunite, but I was so tired that I just wanted to eat and go to bed. One of the others shared the same thoughts, so we chose the restaurant just outside the hotel and got burgers (which were amazing - had shrimp and guacamole in it too!). Technically, tonight I was suppose to be in a different hotel, but I wouldn't be able to get to it tonight since the streets were closed for a music festival tonight and it's really dangerous to walk at night here. HLD booked us a room for tonight so I didn't have to brave getting mugged, and tomorrow i'll move to my last hotel of the trip. We'll see what i do tomorrow!

Some of the cows
One last group photo

No comments:

Post a Comment