Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Amazing Race

Day 84 - 21 de Agosto: Canoa

Another successful sleep in until about 9am. It's been such a fast pace so far that I sure appreciate a bit of extra rest. Breakfast was the same again - a huge bowl of fruit and yogurt. Afterwards, I went down to the beach. One of the girls took pictures for me while I was surfing, so i went to repay the favour. By 11am, it was my turn to go surfing for my second session. Yesterday, I was able to get up, but today i was determined that I would be able to actually stay up for a decent amount of time and be able to glide gracefully with the wave. It was tough though. The entire session, they kept switching my surfboard because it was too small for me. I would literally get up and sink the surfboard. It probably was due to my bad technique, but i should at least be able to fit on the board i'm surfing with. After nearly the whole session, i was finally given the biggest board and got the glide that i had hoped for. It was such a feeling of accomplishment. I found it hard to believe that surfers could go out everyday and do this. My feet were cut up from sharp rocks, my knees scraped and my skin super dry from the salt. Luckily, we have great showers here for the salt. After cleaning up, i had to hang out for a good little bit. I was so hungry after the nearly two hours of surfing i did today, however lunch wasn't going to be served until 2pm. It was good though - burritos. I got two right away and filled them so much that they wouldn't even roll. Afterwards, it was about an hour or so until the "Amazing Race" would start. We got coloured team shirts and I was put onto the blue team. I don't know what was with our team, but it seemed like every event, we sucked in. It didn't matter though, we were having a great amount of time. They were activities that i'd never think i would ever take part in. For example, i was chosen from my group to take part in an unconventional beer drinking competition - first to finish a baby bottle of beer was the winner. I got third place. They were all unusual tasks like this. There was a potato sack race, sand castle building competition, crazy picture pose contest, dance-off, talent competition, bar tending contest, and a final interesting one that will hopefully stay in Canoa and off facebook. Overall a very fun time. Later this evening, we regathered for dinner. Tonight was an included, "fairwell" dinner since we won't all be finishing our programs in the same area. We had amazing pulled pork sandwiches - so amazing in fact that a bunch of the vegetarians on our trip were turned by them. It wasn't too much of a surprise though - i think most of our "vegetarians" on this tour are just picky eaters and i find it hard to believe that you could be picky in the presence of really good food like this. Anyway, the night is finishing off with another crazy dance party. Don't know how long i'll last - we'll see.

Surf lessons


Some of the better pics from today
My amazing race team

No comments:

Post a Comment