Wednesday 21 August 2013

Surf's Up

Day 83 - 20 de Agosto: Canoa

What an incredible sleep. I slept nearly 12 hours last night, mostly thanks to earplugs. By 9, i got out of bed and made my way down for breakfast. Something different this morning - we didn't have eggs but fruit salad. Anyway, after breakfast, my roommate (Liam) and I walked down to the beach to watch the first session of surfers. I wasn't scheduled until noon, so I had some time. We didn't actually watch for long - a few of us started a game of frisbee on the beach. As people got bored, Liam and I decided to see what it was like down at the other end of the beach. I guess passing the frisbee along the way made the walking time go by fast, because before we knew it, we were well down the beach and had to hike what seemed like forever to get back. It wasn't too much longer before it was time for surfing! They first taught us to catch the wave on our stomachs. I ended up being a natural at this and was one of the first to get it. We were later taught to get up, and this was a fair bit harder. Especially since by this time, it had turned into high tide and the waves were much more intense. I did manage to get up, but i sure didn't look too graceful. I get another chance with different waves tomorrow. After the session, i was so salty. I jumped into the pool, then into the shower. By two, we had awesome burgers for lunch. Then, i went with a few of the group into town to check things out. There were hippies everywhere! It was literally hippy, surfer town. There were lots of little trinkets for sale but nothing that interested me. I was mainly there for the walk. I found another pretty cool VW - a VW food truck. This evening was really relaxed after this. We have a group leader that is a hawaiian with a real singing talent. She sang us songs and played guitar. Chilling out lasted until dinner - we had fish and chips. The night ended with a campfire on the beach. It's such a nice relaxing atmosphere here - people talking and singing in this beautiful ecuadorian beach. It's hard to believe sometimes where I actually am. But i think a campfire is just one of those things that take you into your thoughts. What a cool world we live in! How many places like this are hiding in the world for me to find? How many more friends are out there for me to meet. This is why I love travel. And lucky me, when it's finally time for me to return, I have a loving family waiting for me. Can't wait to see you guys again! Until then, i still have two great weeks of adventure - now back to the campfire.








No comments:

Post a Comment