Monday 12 August 2013

A doctor's perspective

Day 74 - 11 de agosto: Quito, Ecuador

I wish that I was able to get a better sleep last night. Don't know what it was and it doesn't make a lot of sense since I've slept in much worse conditions. Anyway, i gave up on sleeping at around 8:30am. I had breakfast, then asked the front desk if there was a time and place to go to church. Turned out, there was one in walking distance at 9:30, so I got ready fast and headed out the door. I made it just in time - it was good to finally go again. Afterwards, I headed back and my roommate and I walked around a different part of town to kill some time before lunch. Because it was sunday, most of the places here were closed, but we ended up in a downtown-like business centre which was a nice change in scenery. For lunch, we went out to a burger place, then returned to the hotel once again to wait for the med rotations to start. Later on, our tutors for the week arrived and we had our introduction. Today would be basic, but tomorrow we would start all kinds of cool shifts. After the intro, we went over all the vital signs of the body and were taught how to take pulse and blood pressure. We were also given a case study and were told to figure out what our hypothetical patient had by the end of the week. After all this, we had dinner at the hotel. I had a great chicken lasagna (another type to add to my list), however it was strange because my food came out a good 10 minutes before anyone else's. It felt a bit weird to eat without anyone, however they all told me the food would get cold if i didn't. After dinner, i did a bit of research into my case study. I have a good idea what it might be, but we'll see if i'm right later on. Funny enough, the last bit of the evening was spent watching Godzilla on tv. Anyway, hope I sleep better tonight!

My med rotation schedule for this week

No comments:

Post a Comment