Monday 1 July 2013

Whirlwind of a day!

Day 33 - 1 de Julho: Manaus and the Amazon River

What a crazy day! I don't think we really stopped all day - and now I'm writing another post tired and aware that I'll need to be up at 5:30 tomorrow morning for a jungle hike. Making these posts have definitely been fun, and they'll be an awesome way to remember my whole trip in detail when I return home. Anyway, I woke up at 7:30 because I was told last night that we'd be dropping off a group in the jungle this morning. However, I woke up and nobody was home. There was also a car missing from the car port! At first, I was a bit worried - did I hear him wrong on what time we were suppose to wake up? Perhaps I misunderstood something? However, I looked around and found a bunch of his jungle gear, deducing that he probably didn't head out for that - maybe he went to the grocery store. Sure enough, him and his wife returned a little while later with bags of food. Apparently, the clients had to postpone until this afternoon since Manaus' transit system was down. That's the story I heard, so Im sticking with it. We had breakfast, then Jeff and I went to the house of the guy who is doing the artwork for the ice cream shop. This time, with the correct format of artwork in hand, they began work on perfecting the design. It turned out that the name he had picked for the shop was already taken in Manaus, so we through around a few names until the name "Sweet Flavours Sorveteria" stuck. In the meanwhile though, they had english CNN on the tube, so i caught up on a bit of world news. Sounds like a pretty crazy development in Egypt right now. Anyway, it took a little while, but we finally finished and came back home to see most of the Jaguar crew hanging out. We all had lunch and quickly packed up for the trip out. We would drop them and the family off in the jungle, then Jeffson and I would head back to be able to make it to his dad's birthday party. It was a usual trip to the marina to collect the boat and head out. We went to the gas barge floating on the river and had to hang out for a little while as the clients were in the middle of having lunch. The panoramic view made you think you were on a river cruise; not at a gas station. We drank baré - a soft drink made only in Manaus, so apparently I won't find any in Sao Paulo. It's too bad because it's the most amazing soft drink you'll ever taste! Why does everything here have a "only in Manaus" label on it? After a while, we went to pick up the clients - a family with a young boy and younger girl. It was neat to think that they would be staying overnight in the jungle - they sort of seemed like that type of family though. I was told they only spoke portuguese, however the young boy had been taking english lessons and was actually an amazing english speaker. We talked for a good part of the boat ride to the drop off point. We got an amazon downpour along the way, but it was fine since we were on the big boat with the undercover area. We'll meet up with them tomorrow morning. The rest of the evening had us going to the actual print shop for his store banners so that he could confirm what he wanted and pay for them. Then we came back home quickly to pick up our family and head to Jeffson's dad's place for his birthday party. We arrived to around twenty family members (these being only a small percentage of his whole family). At first, it was a little overwhelming - so many people I should introduce myself too but I can't effectively since my portuguese hearing is so poor. But after a little bit, I started talking with a few people. There were some that spoke a little english, and it worked out well that I could speak in portuguese and listen to them in english. It turned out to be a great night with good food and company. Jeffson has such a nice family. We said goodbye later on, and made our way home. I was asked to park the car (they drive stick shift too) and after a month, I was definitely feeling a little rusty. Can't wait to see what 3 months does to me! I ended off the night, finally remembering to take a canada flag picture. Happy Canada Day everyone!! Ok, now I need to get to bed.

The marina

Views from the gas barge
Me at the gas barge
A good view of the bridge
Jeffson's dad's dog

Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment