Monday 15 July 2013

São Paulo: Advanced Touring

Day 47 - 15 de Julho: São Paulo

Today was a great day all round. I woke up at 8:30 this morning, feeling much more well rested. I quickly got changed and headed upstairs for breakfast. I was on a mission today, to see as many sights of São Paulo as my legs would allow. So just like yesterday, I made sure to eat a large portion of eggs, cereal and other carbs to keep me going. While I ate, I looked up a few of the major things to see around my area. My hotel is in the Bela Vista area of Sao Paulo, if you wanted to check it out on a map. The city is absolutely massive, as you'll see by looking at the pictures I took today. By 9:30, i was out the front door and walking towards my first site: The Altino Arantes Tower. São Paulo is actually very similar to New York City, and this building could be called the Sao Paulo version of the empire state building. On the city map that I managed to get from reception today, it seemed to be in walking distance, so made a course and walked my way into the city centre. Although I felt like the area was safe enough at this time, I still kept my guard up as i walked. I have been told to be extra careful in this city and i still didn't know all the areas yet, so even my phone was in my money belt at this time. I found the building right away, and had a couple minutes to spare before it opened (i was told to get here at this time to avoid a lineup). But, i guess I'm not that lucky - there was already a pretty big lineup, so i hung out in line a little while, playing crib on my phone. I guess I should mention why I was standing in line. This building is technically a bank (i think), however they bring people to the top (5 at a time) for free to get a panoramic view of the city. After a long time, I was finally at the front of the line. I was actually quite a rare sight here - everyone had a group or at least a friend along to see this. It seems tourists don't tend to come here alone. Oh well, i won't be alone for long. I was directed with several others into an elevator which sent us up halfway. Then we had to change elevators to go up higher. We finally ended up in a room with a few pictures and items from when the building was first built. We had to wait a couple minutes here while the group before us finished up top. Finally, it was our turn. The view was spectacular and the city was huge! I took a bunch of pictures. We were standing on a platform, literally on the top spire of the building. I wonder what Brazil's version of Godzilla is to climb their empire state building. Whatever it is, it probably comes from the Amazon, lol. We were allowed 5 minutes up here, then had to leave to make way for the next group. We were taken back down and I was on to the next location. There was a market area of town nearby, so I got out my map and found it. It was bustling! The sidewalks and even the roads were filled with pedestrians (i pity the cars). Street vendors in their carts littered the sidewalks and the blocks were filled with all sorts of stores. Most of them only sold cheap junk, however it was still cool to walk through them to look. I found one little hole in the wall that turned out being a whole indoor mall. In here, I found a juice bar and got myself some delicious pineapple juice. If the fruits aren't as good here, at least the juice is tasty. I walked through many streets until I made it to a big into food market, kind of like what you'd find at Granville island in Vancouver. The building was built like a english train station, however the stands were pretty authentic south american market. Everything was out in the open. I was amused, just walking around, seeing everything. This place was probably like superstore to the locals. After a bit, i hiked back to the nearest metro station and got on. I was on the blue line, bound for Santa Cruz station, where i got off and got on a bus that would take me by Iberapuera park. This, again gives the city a new york vibe - this is like the equivalent of central park. I know i wasn't able to see the whole park (it was massive) but i think i got quite a bit in. This park had huge lakes, many trails to walk on... I saw a big skate park and many museums, however these weren't really things that interested me right now. I walked along the lakes, some of which had massive fountains. Ducks and geese walked along the shores and people would throw breadcrumbs to feed them occasionally. One idiot and his son didn't really understand the concept of this though - i face palmed a little bit when they approached the geese and through entire loafs of bread at the birds. One actually hit a bird in the head - it probably has a concussion now, but at least it's really well fed. It was at this point now, that my legs were starting to cry out a bit. I had walked a good distance already and it was only early afternoon. I decided to head back and probably get my main meal of the day at the same place as yesterday. If you look it up on a map, this is a considerably long distance to walk, and mostly uphill, but I figured that if I could put in this one final hike, I could really deserve a good meal when I returned. So, I did, all the way back to the little restaurant across the street. He was of course happy to see me again. I got the daily special, while was a large pile of salad, rice and beans, with a big pork chop topped with egg and sausage. Along with it, i figured i deserved a beer, and wanted to try one from here in brazil. They make pretty good ones and ship some big bottles. Had a one litre bottle for just R$6. $3 doesn't buy you close to that back home. After my meal, I again bought myself some bread and finally reached my hotel room. Had a shower, then figured out the best way to reach the airport tomorrow - there should be a shuttle bus from a nearby hotel, however i'm going to have to wake up pretty early tomorrow to make it on time. And with that, I hope the bus gets me there when i need to. Either way, it beats a 110 real taxi ride. I really hate taxis; doesn't matter where in the world you are. The evening consisted of me decided what university courses to pick, so I could send the info back home and my mom could enrol for me if need be. Then i cranked some tunes on my ipod and packed my bags. The rest of the night again has been pretty chill. I'll need my rest since tomorrow will be a big day. I'll be on my way to Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil. 

Inside the tower
Model of the tower
Info we got
Statue inside
The last stairs up



Sao paulo views

The indoor market


Park views
One of me
Odd tree with roots above ground
Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment