Wednesday 31 July 2013

A new group again

Day 62 - 30 de Julio: Quito to Esmeraldas 

This morning was so nice! Got to sleep in until 9:30! Rolled out of bed, showered and shaved and made it for breakfast, just before it closed at 10am. I met a few more of the group, but I would meet the rest really soon. It was funny, news was already spreading around the group about me - about my fundraising success and my travels. I went back to my room to grab my bags - today we were moving to the city beside our volunteer work site. We brought the bags down, but had to wait a good little while for our van to arrive. As it turned out, their usual bus had broken down, so we had to use a tight van to make our 6 hour drive to the coastal city of Esmeraldas. It was fine though - i chatted up some of the members of my new group, and found an ATM to get some money out. It seems that i have a very stupid withdrawal limit on my card, so i can only take out a little at a time. We had a transportation fee to pay today, so i could withdrawal just enough for that. When the van finally arrived, we jumped on, putting the bags on the roof. It was a nice new van, but the legroom sucked. As we were leaving Quito, we stopped by a great sandwich place. breakfast and lunch is included in this program so we were provided with this great food! After, it was time for our long drive. We had a really fast driver though, and this 6 hour drive turned into 4! We made it to this old, but nice resort on the beach. It was a good set up, and the food and drinks are so cheap here! I couldn't believe it - a plate of dinner for $5 and a big beer for $1.50. The group chatted for a little bit after dinner, but we're retiring pretty early tonight - we go to the worksite tomorrow!

Quito
The restaurant
Leaving Quito
Our hotel view

No comments:

Post a Comment