Thursday 18 July 2013

What's on the menu?

Day 50 - 18 de Julho: Paulinia

I don't figure i'll be waking up well rested for the next little while. We do so much in the day and then sleep less to make room for more activities. I'm enjoying the time so much, but it's reminding me of my last world youth day - going to each event and at times, fighting to stay awake. This is only the beginning too - much more to come. I woke up and right away, got ready for breakfast. We would be eating at the church again, but we are on a trend of running a little bit late to things, so by the time that Alex and i arrived, everyone else was already there. Food was great as usual, then after a little bit, we were brought into the church. For a short time, we were taught about the structure of the church - here in Brazil and in the world. I could understand some things. Afterwards was cool though - we were taken to Paulinia's zoo! They had hippos, monkeys, birds, a lion, puma, peacocks. It was funny though - for a lot of the zoo, I wasn't thinking, "oh look at the cool animal". Instead, it was more like "i ate that, and that, didn't eat that...". Even the locals were shocked by what i ate. During our time here, the whole group got together in a circle and prayed the rosary. It was done in half portuguese and half english so that me and my group could participate. I guess it gave me some good luck, because i had a bird fly by and poop on my back. One of the volunteers here helped me out. Afterwards, we went to lunch back at the church: chicken with a creamy sauce, on top of rice. This would be the last meal in which this kitchen staff would cook for us. We gave them a round of applause for their great work. After lunch, our wyd group got together for a quick group meeting to touch base on upcoming events and how everything was going now. We all agree that the people here are some of the most loving, caring, lively, joyous people that we have ever met. And how lucky am I to have run across this in all my travels thus far! I'm so happy to be here. After this, we started a bit of service work. We were divided into a group with some of the locals - 2 ladies were running the show from the st. Vincent de Paul society. We would be dropping off food at the houses of impoverished people. They were all so grateful to have us here. One mother even made us coffee and cuscus. They all seemed so willing to talk to random strangers. I was given many gifts by the coordinators - a little cross necklace, some coffee beans, a cloth and a cd. So generous to me. We returned to the church later to find our family. It was time for a bit of rest at the home now - but first they had a gift for us. We got official wyd t-shirts. I feel so lucky. The day ended with mass, followed by a little pizza party. It was a nice gathering. On the way home, we met up with a few family friends - police officers. Of course I got a photo with them. I finished off the night talking with my host family. We were all tired, but we were having fun talking so it was another late night again. (Hence the brief and concise post today) 

The zoo
I can officially add the amarok to my VW collection
The group we helped today
A coffee plant
Our shirts
With the police

No comments:

Post a Comment