Saturday 13 July 2013

Jungle Survival

Day 44 - 12 de Julho: Amazon Jungle

For only waking up two times last night, I rank that sleep as the best one yet. I felt well rested and ready for the day. Although, my head cold isn't completely healed, it's nothing that ibuprofen isn't fixing. Our breakfast included campfire coffee and stale crackers, however I had meal replacement bars along to supplement them. Before long we were packing up camp to move on. Unfortunately, nothing dries quickly out here so my towel was still wet from yesterday. I put it over the campfire, however all that seemed to do was give it a smokey aroma. Well, I just needed to pack it up that way. Again, I had two backpacks to carry, but before I left, I had an amazing idea - I could wear both backpacks on my back (one on top of another). It worked so much better and didn't strain my neck near as much. Our hike seemed like next to no time at all and where we stopped didn't seem like a place we'd usually stop for camp. There was no clearing of the trees; we were right in the thick of the jungle. Regardless, we put up our hammocks and the guys started the fire. Before I knew that one of the guides were gone, a gunshot was heard in the distance and one returned with what they called "the chicken of the jungle". It was chopped up and made into soup, which we had with campfire chicken. After lunch, we had a swim to wash off - I liked this creek better because it was bigger and you didn't need to walk through mud to get to it (like the last camp). By the way, I can add a few more names to my list: Trevich and Kevin. Kelvie has also become more popular and I've actually come to respond to it now (although I have no idea how they got that from Trevor). After washing up, we rested in our hammocks while the guides went out hunting. Although the jungle is really cool, I was starting to feel that this isn't a place I could stay for a long time. Mainly because we're not out here to do stuff; it's not like there's more city to explore or a cool activity to do - we're here mainly to survive. Although, I think I could last out here longer if I was with my family or close friends. All the conversation between everyone had been in portuguese and it gets exhausting to keep having to try and translate. And Jeffson is usually busy running the camp so I get less time to hang out with him. Now, don't get me wrong, this is an amazing adventure and I'm having lots of fun - but I am looking forward to having real conversations with English speakers. A little while after the guides returned from hunting, i got to hang out with Jeffson a bit, which was really nice. Looks like tomorrow, we'll be waking up at 6am to pack up and head back to the jungle lodge. As early as we can, I'll be on my way to Manaus and by 2:30, I'll be leaving my home of one month for Sao Paulo! I can't believe how fast that time went! It's going to be sad to say goodbye. To think, it was around this amount of time on my trip when I was leaving Europe to return home - and here I'm only at the half way point! Crazy! Well, I'm going to finish off the day with a bit of soup for dinner. I wont tell you what kind because you'll probably be grossed out by it - ask me in person if you're curious. 

The colour of the water I am drinking

Fire material



My foot got worse in the sock. I just cant win!
This menace again 

No comments:

Post a Comment