Thursday 27 June 2013

The ice cream man

Day 29 - 27 de junho: Manaus

You'll have to excuse this post for being relatively brief and to the point, I'm really tired right now. Woke up today at 8:30 which ended up being about exactly when everyone else got out of bed. We had a nice big breakfast with fruit, bread with ham and cheese, juice and cake (yup, cake for breakfast - here you can have cake anytime!). The morning that followed consisted of driving around to various stops - the ice cream parlour to work out a few things (Jeffson's going through with turning his clothing store into an ice cream parlour), the to the police station to renew his gun licence. This place was massive! It had the same size and style building as back home, but instead of being in the middle of the city, it had it's own huge military-training-like grounds. I guess they really prepare their police for anything. We then picked up the girls and came home for lunch. A little bit afterwards, we left home again for their store. We spend the better part of the afternoon starting its transformation. We took down the clothing hooks, washes the writing off the windows and cleared out the inventory. The freezer they had bought was already in the store so the place really only needed a bit of redecorating. That would be another day. While we worked, Spain vs Italy was on TV and it was a close game that we'd finish watching at home. It went right to penalty kicks which resulted in victory for spain. I would hate to be the italian who missed the net! On the way home, we stopped by the bakery for more bread and they decided to send just me in again to test my portuguese. This was my best attempt yet and even managed to ask the lady to choose the crispier ones (request from Jeffson). We had our café and a great banana milkshake. Not much later in the evening, we all took off again to take part in a music workshop going on at the church. They taught little classes and even though my portuguese was minimal, it was material that I had learned before - music theory. I still remembered a fair bit of it thanks to my many years of piano from the distant past. We finished off the evening with singing. I made sure to sing quietly so as to not draw attention to my lack of singing talent, however I was still noticed. I'm still not quite sure if they were commending a good effort or just laughing at the attempt. Doesn't matter, it's all in good fun. Just got back home not too long ago and really need sleep. Just about dozed off at the church and it didn't help that we didn't have siesta today. Let's see what we do tomorrow!

Found the warning on my bottle of malaria pills a little funny today - avoiding sunlight is easier said than done here, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment