Saturday 8 June 2013

Flying solo

Day 9 - 7 de junio: Cuzco

When I first started taking martial arts, my master would frequently remind us of 3 important rules to take away from class and apply to life: 1) Always pay attention 2) Always be polite 3) Always expect the unexpected. As you've read so far, the unexpected and I have become pretty close over the past week. However, even a life lived by rule #3 could not prepare me for the next events. Due to a family emergency, my travel companion had to jump on the next flight home and so today would mark my first day flying solo. We did have a last morning together, so after a good little bit of listening to the most epic hold music i've ever heard for Lan airlines to change her flight, we took to the streets of Cuzco. As my friend enjoys working at starbucks back home, we had to make that the first stop in Cuzco's Plaza de Armas. Because of the square's cultural significance, the starbucks and mcdonalds located there had to paint their logos black so as to not stand out. It was kind of neat to see. We walked in and this starbucks was massive (took up the whole second floor of this building with multiple lounges). With coffees and a muffin in hand, we spent a good little while playing the most competitive games of uno yet. It was a fun last morning. We checked out a few more stores and markets before heading back to the hotel to get her things. Cuzco seems to be the most touristy city yet, so most of the shops seem to sell the same cheap trinkets for the tourists. Finally, we were ready to head to the airport. It was nice to have some info from the hotel on taxi fairs this time. We were told that a fair rate was 8-10 soles to get to the airport and that here in Peru, you negotiate a rate before getting in. We definitely weren't going to get screwed over by taxis again. After checking in at the airport, we played a couple last games of uno before she had to leave. It was hard to have to split from my friend so soon, but I was really glad that we made the most of our last morning together. And so from here on out, until Sao paulo in July, i'm traveling solo. Funny enough, it got interesting right away. I'm actually still astonished that I didn't get scammed by the taxi on the way back. It started when I left the airport - i looked around and there were no taxis to be seen anywhere! After a bit of looking, a random guy approached me, asking if I needed a taxi. I said yes, and he immediately replied with a price of 20 soles. I kind of laughed inside, he didn't know that I wasn't a fresh gringo off the plane, so I let him know that I wasn't playing games and that 10 soles was my top dollar (what we paid to get here). He agreed, and soon after, taxis started rolling into the airport. He talked to me about Cuzco and the tours he put on, then when a taxi showed up, he would talk to them in spanish if they could take me back. Strangely, the first 4 or 5 said no. Finally, one taxi decided to take me, but of course my guard was up for this whole thing. As soon as I got into the taxi, the man that flagged down the taxi jumped in the front seat and we drove just outside the airport. He told me that he had paid the taxi driver and that now I had to pay him the 10 soles. I immediately thought, "what have i gotten myself into?" however, I was in sort of a tight spot and it was only 10 soles ($3-4 cad). I paid him and he jumped out of the taxi. The driver only spoke spanish but from what I could piece together, it wasn't bad yet. The whole way back though, i was thinking the same thing, but figured that if any conflict arose, my english speaking hotel could help. A couple blocks away, we were stopped at a police roadblock (the city decided to have a parade on my street - convenient). The driver told me that he couldn't go any further, so I pulled out my map to ask him where I was. He couldn't tell me so I left the taxi - soon to be completely freaked out; as I left, the taxi driver yelled something to a police officer, and the officer approached me. I was sure he told the officer that I hadn't paid, however to my surprise, the officer came over and gave me directions back to my hotel. I couldn't believe it - instead of getting scammed, I was actually treated to a variety of local kindness. After everything, Im pretty sure that guy from the airport negotiated local to local to take me for 5 soles or something - i didn't care though, i didn't have to pay anymore than i wanted to. When I got back to the hotel, I ran into a group of my contiki-mates, just as they were leaving to check out some of the markets. We had a good afternoon together (i was even able to help out everyone's bartering/shopping  with the spanish i had been getting better at. We went to a local chocolateria where I bought a nice bar of dark chocolate - hopefully it will go well with the coffee I bought earlier. After a few hours, it was time to get cleaned up for dinner. It didn't take too long for me, so I soon after left my room and hung out with a couple of them from today in their room. These two were an Ozzy girl and Kiwi girl, both very nice and fun to talk to. It's actually really neat comparing countries even as similar as ours. For dinner, we went to a local sports bar and were treated to a surprise. Each of us were allowed behind the bar and taught how to make a drink for ourselves. They ended up having me make a passionfruit drink which was really good. The bar got livelier once 9pm struck. Peru was playing Ecuador in soccer qualifiers for the world cup, and Peru ended up winning! They're crazy about their soccer here, and rightfully so - the skill level is just so much higher that it makes the games really enjoyable to watch. After dinner we continued to a club where we were "taught" salsa dancing. By taught, i mean jump into it full swing and try to mimic the guys in front. I did my best. When lessons ended, the club turned back to normal again and everyone started dancing it up. And of course, everyone formed a dance circle which of course i was pushed into. Since I really don't have much of a talent for dancing, i do have to thank my master, Mr. D for getting me ready for anything. With my "sparring dance" and a few impressive kicks to the music, i more than pleased my group. At about midnight, i left with 3 others back to the hotel. It was an interesting day - but i'm really anticipating tomorrow as we head into the sacred valley

Cuzco's plaza de armas

The main church of the square

A final starbucks together

The parade on my street when i returned

Chocolate!

Me being a kickass bartender

Shaken, not stirred

No comments:

Post a Comment