Friday 21 June 2013

Getting fat again

Day 23 - 21 de Junho: Manaus

After two long days in a row, it sure was nice to be able to sleep in a little bit. Although, perhaps by habit, I ended up waking up around 6, then falling back asleep until 8. I got out of bed and the first person I see in the living room is the eldest of the two sisters here, who's 16th birthday is today. I wish her happy birthday and then carry on my normal morning routine. I go with Jeffson to by breakfast food at the local market, then we have our café de manhã. I then went to take my clean clothes off the clothesline and sort them. I was surprised that they would dry outside during the nighttime but I guess even the night is hot (25-30 degrees!). As I took off my clothes, a relative to Jeffson showed up with a big chocolate bunt that reminded me of the one that mom makes at home. I guess he works at a cake shop and brought it over for the birthday. After my clothes were put away, i sat back down outside to do a bit of portuguese studying. After a bit, Jeffson noticed a little spot on my foot. I noticed recently that I am getting a little bit more speckled with bites day by day, however lucky me, I don't even notice they're there... well, sort of lucky. He pointed out the spot and I figured it was a bite from one of the fire ants yesterday, however he told me to look closer. Turned out my lower legs and feet had become the new home for a good few blood-sucking, jungle fleas - yup, i had fleas. Lucky for me, these things were slow movers and overnight had only gotten halfway up my leg. I was told to look closely for the little things, pluck them off and squish them with my fingernails. I'm pretty sure I managed to get them all, however, Jeffson was surprised that i hadn't felt them. Anyway, soon the family started to arrive. I tried my best to speak with them but now that I'm speaking in sentences rather than words, I have to think  little bit each time I speak. On the other end of the spectrum, they can speak a million miles an hour and i'll only be able to catch a word or two. Well, at least I can say it's a great improvement for only a week's time. We had a huge almoço (lunch)! Pasta, bbq, açai berry puree, rice, beans. And of course, this family is on a constant mission to get me fat so every time I would finish something, i'd get a constant stream of voices saying "mais? mais?" (More?). It sure filled me up. We hung out for a little bit, then when things winded down, I pulled out my phone to try and facetime mom and dad. I first got a hold of mom - the first time I've seen her face in over 3 weeks. Of course, we had been in great phone contact, but face to face adds another touch! We talked about everything that had been going on the past little while. She also pointed out that I had mistakingly given my friendly, room-mate bug 2 different names over the course of my blog - so i'm just going to roll with it! Today, my bug's new name is Ricardo. I kicked him out the other day, but I'm sure he'll find his was back eventually! After mom, i called dad at work - he impressed a few of his customers with this amazing technology. It really is incredible to be face to face with somebody on a completely different continent! After the call, some different family members were sitting in the living area. I sat down with them and was now determined to practice my portuguese. With Jeffson's help to correct my grammar mistakes, I was able to say many complex sentences, mostly relating to my trip. I'm sure this practice will come in handy for the next time I meet someone here. Later on, I followed Jeffson to his band practice at the church and listened to their great music as I read my little travel book. This same book that i've written all my portuguese notes in, also contained some journal entries from my Europe trip two years ago. I smiled as I read the many old stories about one of my greatest adventures with my high-school buddies. This trip will be twice as long as my Europe trip, and I hope to learn as many lessons as i can abroad. When we returned home, i got another facetime call from mom and dad, but this time, I could finally introduce them to Jeffson. It was great, and perhaps one day i'll be able to introduce them in person. Manaus is a beautiful, peaceful city right in the heart of the Jungle and I definitely recommend coming here one day. Do a Jaguar jungle tour and say hi to all my tour guide friends for me! Haha, anyway, we talked a good bit, then, although it was late, the family and I went out to walk Manaus' new boardwalk along the amazon. If you didn't know any better, you'd think the amazon was an ocean at night! Apparently in some places, the amazon is 10km in length!! We walked beside many fountains, coloured with light, a view of the beach and an amphitheatre before turning around and going back to the car. It was a beautiful walk and I got many pictures. Now here's where i'm sure they're trying to fatten me up. It's 11:30 at nice and our last stop of the night is an ice cream parlour. Of course, i had to try every flavour that you will only find in Manaus. It was great ice cream, but way too much for this time of night. Oh well, i'm on holiday. Anyway, it's currently 1am so I really need some shut eye. Catch me again tomorrow!

The boardwalk (as are all the pics)

My host family minus jeffson

Host family minus Jessica

A coloured fountain

The beach

A world cup countdown

The amphitheatre 

No comments:

Post a Comment