Monday 24 June 2013

Lazing Around

Day 26 - 24 de Junho: Manaus

I'm thinking that some of you may be getting a bit bored with these last few posts. I haven't been skydiving, scuba diving or rock climbing... nope, I've been around the home here, living a normal day to day life in Manaus. But I enjoy the time - it's a real cultural experience for me. Things as simple as going out in the morning to pick up bread or dropping by a relative's house for lunch is all so mundane to them but so new and interesting to me. I'm so lucky to be able to do this and do such exciting things as jungle survival trips in the same place! However, I didn't end up buying bread this morning as usual - nope, I slept in today until about 8:45 or 9. The sleep was much better than usual - probably because it was the first night here that I made the effort to figure out the blind mechanism on my window. One of those where you feel stupid after you figure out how simple it was. Anyway, woke up, had breakfast then today, I spent the morning with Jeffson, showing him how to make a facebook page for his company. He doesn't commonly use facebook, but I think it is a really good tool for getting your message across to people (it was a real asset when I was fundraising for Ecuador). We also are trying to get him set up on tripadvisor (i'm a little less familiar with it so hopefully it all works out). We worked on this for quite a while, and before we knew it, it was time for Jeff to pick the girls up from school.  They all returned after a bit with lunch in hand - basically the brazilian version of KFC. It was a quick and easy meal that satisfied. The afternoon was then a lot of lazing around - mainly because it got too hot to do much. I think it got close to 35 degrees today, but then you have a add a handful more to account for humidity here. After a little while, I jumped in the pool and swam a few lengths to cool down - it's so nice to have this pool. Oh, nearly forgot - this morning we took their little white dog to the groomers - he had a bad case of fleas and was due for a shaving in this heat. It was about now that Jeffson went to pick the dog up - and it looked like a completely different breed without its hair. I'll have to remember to take a picture tomorrow. As the evening continued, we watched the news, had our evening coffee - with some sort of melon and pineapple juice. The juice down in south america has been amazing so far - I think everyone is sort of in the habit of buying their things fresh (less of the costco mentality). Sorry if you're reading this from a different country and don't know what costco is, it's a store back home that sells everything in packs of like 1000 (a warehouse store). Anyway, the evening finished off with the whole family and I getting together to watch a movie. Unfortunately, the movies I've watched down here in english have been pretty low quality - either bad acting, plot or both. This film fit the mould although it was a suspense that kept you guessing. The name was in portuguese so I couldn't tell you what it was. Knowing me, it's a movie that everybody knows but me. I'm terrible with keeping up with current films - name a movie and i've most likely never watched  it. Overall, another nice, relaxing day. I'm thinking I should really cherish these since I'm probably going to get myself exhausted with the events following Manaus. Tomorrow, it sounds like we'll be going into town - so i should be back to taking pics tomorrow.

Your random pic of the day today - a little touch of home in my room, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment